Pathways-Pretoria, is a non-profit organisation registered as a Centre under Social Development. We are situated in the East of Pretoria. Pathways-Pretoria was founded in 2002 by Tammy Greyling (Occupational Therapist), Danita Nel (Speech and Language [AAC] Therapist), and parents who were struggling to find a facility that catered to the needs of children living with moderate to severe disabilities. A playgroup was formed and this playgroup grew into a school and young adults studio. There are 7 other Pathways in South Africa sharing the same values and principles but existing as separate entities.
Since 2002 Pathways-Pretoria grew into a large organisation that has been privileged enough to make a huge difference in the lives of many students, their families, other professionals and society as a whole.
Our goal is to ensure that your child's / young adult’s advances to reach their maximum potential in the areas of education, life skills and work related skills.
It would be great to have you as part of our Pathways-Family and to work together to ensure a better future for your child.
Pathways-Pretoria consists of two entities:
- Pathways-Pretoria Learning Centre whose objectives it is to provide intensive stimulation to toddlers, children and teenagers with mild, moderate to profound disabilities and of whom some also have multiple disabilities.
- Pathways-Pretoria Studio whose aim is to guide differently-abled young adults (aged 17+) to acquire as much independence as possible and to introduce them to work environment through life skills training, job sampling, small business development and social integration skills development. We also have mobile work crews working a variety of small businesses.
Currently the Centre serves a total of 90-120 learners, children aged 3-18 and young adults with varied needs. Eva van der Merwe is the Acting Principal and is supported by 6 teachers, 3 assistant teachers, 1 studio-co-ordinator, 3 group co-ordinators, 17 facilitators who provide services to the learners.
Acting Principal: Eva van der Merwe
Pathways Pretoria provides services to children with one or more of the following conditions:
- Mild to profound mental disabilities
- Mild to profound physical disabilities
- Speech impairments
- Blindness or visual impairments
- Hearing impairments
- Variety of syndromes
The School Programme focuses on:
- Desensitising learners with sensory issues with e.g. a sensory diet, sensory breaks in classrooms, messy play, music sessions and equestrian therapy.
- Stimulating learners to reduce the developmental delay
- Drawing up an individual educational plan for each learner and video recording progress every 4 months
- Augmentative and alternative communication as well as picture exchange
- Functional literacy and numeracy skills
- World knowledge
- Comprehensive life skills
- Work related skills in our workshop and exposure to work in the open labour market
The Studio Programme focuses on:
- Following a variety of life-skill courses which assist the students to become more integrated into the community and to increase their independence.
- Training employability skills in community businesses such as being part of mobile work crews which encourage appropriate work habits. With this we enhance their chances of becoming an asset to a company and successful employment.
- We also include students with high support needs in work related and enrichment programmes e.g. Learners with physical needs, autism or who are lower functioning. This exciting and stimulating programme is adapted to the specific needs and abilities of each individual student.
Open labour market
- More advanced learners are trained with more advanced learning programmes
- Individuals who have potential to work in the open labour market can be trained in a varied of community businesses.
- Under the supervision of our Employment Consultant and/or Job Coach, individuals on the Employment Program gain work experience in the open labour market via job sampling, working in mobile work crews or help to work in an entrepreneurial small business.
Young Adults Academy : R5500.00 per month - 5 days a week
School and Enrichment Centre: R5700.00 per month - 5 days a week
After Care: R1100.00 per month (payable monthly from January - November. 50% off in December)
Annual registration: R1650.00 (non-refundable)
Deposit for first time applicants: R5000.00 (refundable)
Please contact us for more information.