Pathways Pretoria, is a non-profit organisation registered as a Centre under Social Development. We are situated in the East of Pretoria. Pathways Pretoria was founded in 2002 by parents who were struggling to find a facility that catered to the needs of children living with moderate to severe disabilities. A playgroup was formed and this playgroup grew into a school and young adults studio.
Since 2002 Pathways Pretoria grew into a large organisation that has been privileged enough to make a huge difference in the lives of many students, their families, other professionals and society as a whole.
Our goal is to ensure that your child's / young adult’s advances to reach their maximum potential in the areas of education and life skills,
It would be great to have you as part of our Pathways-Family and to work together to ensure a better future for your child.
Currently Pathways serves a total of 80 children and young adults with varied needs. Eva van der Merwe is the Acting Principal and is supported by a team of experienced teachers, assistant teachers and facilitators who provide personal services to the learners.
Acting Principal: Eva van der Merwe
Pathways Pretoria provides services to children with one or more of the following conditions:
- Mild to profound mental disabilities
- Mild to profound physical disabilities
- Speech impairments
- Blindness or visual impairments
- Hearing impairments
- Variety of syndromes
The School Programme focuses on:
- Desensitising learners with sensory issues with e.g. a sensory diet, sensory breaks in classrooms, messy play, music sessions and equestrian therapy.
- Stimulating learners to reduce the developmental delay
- Drawing up an individual educational plan for each learner
- Augmentative and alternative communication as well as picture exchange
- Functional literacy and numeracy skills
- World knowledge
- Comprehensive life skills
- Work related skills in our workshop and exposure to work in the open labour market
The Young Adults Academy focuses on:
- Following a variety of life-skill courses which assist the students to become more integrated into the community and to increase their independence.
- Training skills in community businesses such as being part of mobile work crews which encourage appropriate work habits. With this we enhance their chances of becoming an asset to their respective communities.
- We also include students with high support needs in work related and enrichment programmes e.g. Learners with physical needs, autism or who are lower functioning. This exciting and stimulating programme is adapted to the specific needs and abilities of each individual student.
Young Adults Academy : TBA
After Care: TBA
2024 Registration: TBA (non-refundable)
Deposit for first time applicants: TBA
Please contact us for more information.